Clyda Glory Days

GLORY DAY FOR CLYDA (corkman match report on Clyda Rovers winning the County Intermediate Football title against Carrigaline)
Determination,passion and drive earns Mourneabbey deserved Intermediate title.
CLYDA ROVERS...............................0-16

By B.Roche Sep 13th 96

Sport can often be a cruel mistress but on Sunday she finally smiled favurably on Clyda Rovers when, with a powerful display, the men from Mourneabbey banished the memories of recent years and finally captured the Cork Intermediate football title at Pairc Ui Chaoimh on Sunday.

It may not have been a flawless display but the victory was emphatic.The North Cork side completely outplayed a Carrigaline outfit who failed to deliver on the form they had shown in reaching the decider.
In defence pony-tailed Willie Walsh was inspiring, attacking the ball and clearing with confidence while Brendan Walsh made some vital clearances .Ditto Tommy Walsh who twice came to the rescue with a number of important blocks in the second half.
In front of them Cathal Cronin, Mick O'Shea and Derry Cronin were out standing.The crafty O'Shea proved a fine pivot to set up attacks while the Cronins not only picked up breaking ball but purposefully brought it out of defence and supplied their forwards with some astute ball.
Midfield was always going to be a crucial sector given Carrigalines height advantage there but it was Cormac O'Sullivan and Fergal Dorgan who were to enjoy the better of exchanges over the hour with O'Sullivan making some great catches and Dorgan regularly helping out in attack.
Up front the speed and trikery of Padraig O'Mullane and Robert Walsh feeding off the hardworking Jerry O'Sullivan caused constant problems for the Carrigaline defence.While inside Tadhg O'Mullane kicked some great scores following good work by John Walsh and Pat McGuinness.
Clyda's determination was evident from the throw in as they defended in depth and tackled tigerishly before releasing early ball upfield for runners Padraig O'Mullane and Robert Walsh to chace with Walsh opening the scoring after 3 minutes following a foul on O'Mullane.
Already the Clyda half back line was showing up well and Robert Walsh added a second point after Carrigaline lost possession trying to clear before the same player cleverly took a quick free to set up the unmarked Tadgh O'Mullane for a point to make it 0-3 to 0-0 after 10 minutes.

Although corner forward Mark Doody eventually opened Carrig account, Clyda continued to dominate, but there shooting was letting them down. However Cormac O Sullivan was doing great work at mid field , and a mighty catch allowe him set up Robert Walsh for a point. Clyda kept up the pressure winning 4 kickouts in succession but poor shooting left them down before Tadgh O Mullane eventualley scored a point. Thats made it 5 points to 0-1 to clyda.Oliver Conlon made it 5 points to 2 just before half time, clyda's shooting however was letting them down and they should have been a head more at half time as they kicked 10 wides in the first half.
In the second half Clyda looked like they meant business with Cormac O Sullivan pointing a minute after the break. Although Conlon replied Clyda were really motoring now and further scores from cathal cronin and 2 from Robert Walsh to make it 10 points to 3 in favour of Clyda. CArrigaline were far from finished and a brave block from tommy walsh saved a certain goal. Gavin Farrisey then kicked a good point for Carrigaline to narrow the gap. Tadgh O Mullane who was causing havoc in full forward pointed then again for Clyda. Then Carrigaline got a lifeline when murphy was fouled in the square for a penalty. Conlon billowed the back of the net to narrow the gap to 4 points. For 5 mins things were nip and tuck untill a sweping move from clyda lead to Robert Walsh blasting over the bar. Coming with 7 mins to go it broke carrigalines momentum and when the same player pointed again clyda were in control. Tadgh O Mullane pointed again to make it 0-15 to 1-5 before Cormac O Sullivan scored the final point of the game for Clyda to make it 0-16 to 1-05.
Team: T O Callaghan, T Walsh, W Walsh, B Walsh, C Cronin(0-1), M O Shea, D Cronin, C O Sulllivan(0-2), F Dorgan, P O Mullane, J O Sullivan, R Walsh (0-8 , 0-3 frees), J Walsh, T O Mullane (0-4) P Mcguinness. Subs M O Hanlon for P Mcguinness, T Daly for J Walsh, G Ambrose for J O Sullivan, E Spillane, K Cronin, G Lane, N Cronin, C O Sullivan

CLYDA WIN FIRST TITLE IN CRACKER(Cork Examiner October13th 1989 )
he curtAin finally fell on one of the most exhilerating and absorbing
spectacles ever produced in the time honoured history of the cork county junior
hurling championship when at cloughduv yesterday Clyda Rovers gloriously won
there first title after beating gallant Ballinascarthy by one point.

Both sides justifiably won ravE notices for their outstanding performances in the
drawn game at Pairc Ui Chaoimh last week.Yesterday's marvellous replay that
warmed the cockles of every heart in the huge attendance was as good if not better
than its predecessor.

It had everthing.Passion thrills, drama and unbridled enthusiasm and
sportsmanship.And at the end of the day it was a real pity that there had to be a
loser because both sides did their clubs proud in an epic final show piece.

But to the victors go the spoils and Clyda throughly deserved their greatest
moment of triumph because when they went down six points entering the final
quarter, the die seemed cast for their vibrant ambitions of winning a county title for
the first time.

Ballinascarthy on an equally historic mission , appeared to be sailing serenely.With a
slight wind advantage and with left half forward Colman Murphy pointing some
good frees the south west divisional champions turned over leading 0-4 to 0-3 at
half time in a tremendous game in which both sets of defences were magnificent.

Hurling with a refreshing verve and a great deal of confidance Ballonascarthy beagn
to dominate and there stock of hope soared five minutes into the second half.Ryan
powered a high ball forward.Goal-keeper Paul Walsh came off his line, but when the
ball broke free full-forward Liam Deasy had the simplest of tasks in billowing the
unprotected Clyda net from close range.

This goal would knock the stuffing out of most sides and when the accurate Murphy
stretched Ballinscarthy lead to six points with 17 minutes remaining the coveted cup
seemed destined for the west.

But in keeping with the immortal words contained in Kickham's Knocknagow "for
the glory of the little parish" Clyda Rovers launched a remarkable comeback when all
seemed lost.Outstanding skipper John Roche trojan centre-back Noel Carey and
midfielder Brendan Kelleher who hit three inspiring long range points in rapid
succession lifted their side to heady heights.

And a minute from the end right half forward Martin O' Hanlon became the toast of
the Rovers when he sent over the golden match winning point.

But the drama was still not at an end.With 10 second remaining Joe O'Leary
awarded Ballinascarthy a free on the 65 metre mark, but for once the usually reliable
Colman murphy was off target.Then 30 seconds later Ballinascarthy got another
free from a similiar position.On this occasion Murphy took a short one to the
unmarked Jerry Ryan but his attempt also went wide.

And so Clyda, their cup of joy brimming to the full, held on for the greatest victory
of their lifes, and Ballinascarthy were left to drown their sorrows after a final
judiciously summed up by the chairman of the county board Mr Denis Conroy as one
of the best played in the Cork junior Championship over the years.


Sweet victory for Clyda ,Mourneabbey men edge out Douglas atBlarney to reach their first ever county senior football semi-final(Clyda V Douglas Aug 25th 2000,Corkman Report) SUCCESS might come easier, but it will never taste sweeter for the Clyda Roverslion-hearted footballers who earned their place in the history books on Saturday evening last at Blarney when they outbattled Douglas to claim a place in the Co Senior Football championship semi-final against either Nemo Rangers or St Finbarr's.

This was an amazing contest that saw the sides deadlocked on nine occasions at
0-1,0-4, 0-5, 0-6, 0-7, 0-8, 0-9, 0-10 and 0-11 each after 54 mins play.The
lead changed hands on a number of occasions with two points the most separating
the sides on just two occasionsduring the opening half.In the opening minute, a foul
on John Walsh for Clyda Rovers led to the opening point from a free by Paul
Holland. Three mins later, a foul on Paul Aherne led to the equalising point by Ronan
McCarthy. Clyda conceded two frees with Ronan McCarthy having one attempt
cleared on the goalline. In the 8th minute, a solo run by Pádraigh O'Mullane led to
the Clyda captain kicking a fine point. Then, a foul on Niall O 'Mullane provided Paul
Holland with his second pointed free, 0-3 to 0-1.Pat McSweeney pointed for
Douglas from a tight angle in the 13th min.Paul Holland (free) and Pat McSweeney
exchanged points by the 20th min and a minute later, a foul on Pat McSweeney
provided Willie Coveney with the equalising point from a free, 0-4 each. Good work
by Pádraigh O'Mullane led to a fine point by Kieran Cronin. Ronan McCarthy placed
Cormac Dineen for the equaliser in the 26th min.Two mins later, Cormac Dineen was
put through by Ronan McCarthy but was denied a goal when Brian Flanagan made a
superb save. Good work in the dying moments by Cormac O'Sullivan, Kieran Cronin
and Tadgh O'Mullane led to younger brother Niall O'Mullane pointing. It gave the
winners an interval lead of 0-6 to 0-5.

The second half was very tight with both defences doing very well. Both sides used
the short passing to good effect.Douglas were level within a minute when Conor
McCarthy placed Willie Coveney for a point from near the end line. Clyda again took
the lead with a break at midfield by Pádraigh O'Mullane to Johnny Walsh who
passed to Tom McGlinchey who pointed on the run, 0-7 to 0-6.Douglas fought
back and were level within three mins through a Ronan
McCarthy free. Douglas now looked dangerous with Thomas Sheehan making some
good runs out of defence. Clyda defended well with Derry Cronin, Brendan Walsh
and Mick O'Shea in very good form. The North Cork side had a point when John
Walsh placed Cormac O'Sullivan who scored from long range to give his side the
lead. In a quick break, Douglas gained possession with Eoin Coveney being fouled
on the 13 metre line. Ronan McCarthy pointed from the resultant free
and then a great ball out of defence by Tomas Sheehan provided the lead
for Douglas through Willie Coveney.

Clyda's Paul Holland struck the upright with a free which went out wide.
In the 41st min, Holland levelled with a pointed free, 0-9 each. Douglas
again edged ahead through a William Deasy free. A quickly taken sideline
kick by Paul Holland to John Walsh had the sides level for the 8th time
with 13 mins remaining. Douglas made a brave attack in search of the
lead and a five man movement was broken up by Derry Cronin.

Clyda's Pádraigh O'Mullane gained the delivery which went wide off the
same upright. Pat McSweeney gave the City side the lead with Paul
Holland levelling from a free for the Mourneabbey side for the 9th and
last time. There were still six mins remaining.

A Douglas attack by Conor McCarthy led to a foul on Willie Coveney.
Ronan McCarthy was wide from the free. At the other end Johnny Walsh
forced Teddy O'Donovan to make a superb save. In the 59th min, Paul
Holland pointed his 6th and last free of the evening.

In injury-time Douglas forced a free 50 yards from goal near the sideline.
Cork senior star Ronan McCarthy was instructed to score direct. His free
dropped on the goal line just under the crossbar where the Clyda keeper
and a number of backs were on hand to take the free to safety. Tadgh
O'Mullane collected the free which was followed by the final whistle.

It marked the end of a great game that saw Clyda Rovers, in senior grade
only since 1997, reach the Co semi-final.

Scorers - Clyda Rovers: Paul Holland 0-6 (frees), Niall O'Mullane 0-1,
Cormac O'Sullivan, 0-1, Tommy McGlinchey 0-1, Pádraigh O'Mullane
0-1, Kieran Cronin 0-1, John Walsh 0-1.

Douglas: Willie Coveney 0-4 (0-2 frees), Ronan McCarthy 0-3 (frees),
Pat McSweeney 0-3, Cormac Dineen 0-1.

Teams - Clyda Rovers: Brian Flanagan, Tommy Walsh, Willie Walsh,
Brendan Walsh, Gavin Carey, Mick O'Shea, Derry Cronin, Tommy
McGlinchey, Cormac O'Sullivan, Paul Holland, Derek O'Brien, Pádraigh
O'Mullane, Niall O'Mullane, Kieran Cronin, John Walsh.

Subs: Tadgh O'Mullane for Derek O'Brien, Seán Breen for Tommy
McGlinchey, Dylan O'Shea for Kieran Cronin.

Douglas: Teddy O'Donovan, David McSweeney, Killian Hogan, Cormac
Cahill, Thomas Sheehan, Graham Swanton, Pat Barry, Paul Aherne,
Cormac Dineen, Conor McCarthy, Ronan McCarthy, Donal O'Callaghan,
Willie Coveney, Eoin Coveney, Pat McSweeney.

Referee: Niall Barrett (Carrigtwohill

Back to top